Understanding exactly how a security device fits into the network and how it can possibly mitigate rish is an important aspect of network security.
Important to understand is that is never completely done; new attacks and vulnerabilities continuously crop up.
So we can use lifecycle approach to security but never absolutely complete.
Security Lifecycle has five phases;
– Initiation : Preliminary risk assessments and categorizing of risk
– Acquisition and development : More detailed risk assessment
– Implementation : Putting countermeasure in place on the production network
– Operations and maintenance : Monitoring
– Disposition : Disposing of network gear